Sunday, March 27, 2016

I SAY YES TO "NO"


I was not "All About The Bass".

I probably was the only person not a fan of last year's inescapable worldwide hit song from Meghan Trainor. I respected the positive message regarding body issues in the song she co-wrote with producer Kevin Kadish however the actual record with it's cheesy, bubblegum girl-group vocals left me cold. The next two singles, "Lips Are Movin'" and "Dear Future Husband" were slightly more listenable for me yet I remained unimpressed with the twenty-two year old singer.

But it wasn't until the fourth single, "Like I'm Gonna Lose You", Trainor's duet with John Legend, that I finally appreciated what she has to offer as an artist. This lovely ballad has a old school vibe that revealed to me her skill as a writer and, at such a young age, awareness of pop music history.

Now after the success of her million-selling debut album, "Title", this year's Grammy winner for Best New Artist is preparing to release a follow-up titled "Thank You" which is due out in May. "No", the soulful, dance-pop first single, is a sassy kiss-off to an aggressive dude who can't take a hint. I must admit that I still find Trainor pretty bland as a pop music personality yet there is no denying her talent as a songwriter and vocalist.

For the music video, Trainor does a major image make-over. Much like Britney Spears at the start of her career, she says "goodbye" to the sweet, blond girl-next-door and introduces a dark-haired, sexually provocative persona. Trainor even shows us that she's got moves in this dance-heavy, femalecentric clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW SOUNDS

CORINNE BAILEY RAE I have just became aware that the British alt-r&b artist, Corinne Bailey Rae had released her fourth studio album, &...