Friday, March 3, 2017

GREEN LIGHT


I must admit I have been very impatient waiting for some new music from Lorde, the New Zealand artist who came on the scene in 2013 with her thoughtful, electropop album, "Pure Heroine" and the worldwide smash single, "Royals".  I keep forgetting she was just sixteen when it came out and surely needed some serious time away after her whirlwind success to simply be a teenager.

I suspected something was on the horizon when it was announced that the now-twenty year old singer will be the musical guest on the March 11th episode of "Saturday Night Live" and today a new single was released. "Green Light", co-written with Jack Antonoff of the bands, fun and the Bleachers and producer and fellow New Zealander, Joel Little, surprises as it's much more like a dance-pop anthem than the dark and far edgier material that first brought her to our attention. I guess hanging out with BFF, Taylor Swift has inspired Lorde in more ways than one. Yet let me be clear that it still feels and sounds very much like Lorde which is a very good thing. I really loved the track the first time I heard it and I'm sure the rest of the world will respond in kind.

The title of her forthcoming second album has been revealed to be "Melodrama" and due sometime later this summer with a tour to follow. For now, enjoy the music video, directed by Grant Singer, which features just the singer wildly dancing in the streets and on top of a limo:

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW SOUNDS

KACEY MUSGRAVES Kacey Musgraves explored the end of her marriage and the painful healing process with her last album, " Star-Crossed ...