Thursday, April 4, 2019

MY TUNE OF THE DAY


I am sure everyone is familiar with the empowerment anthem, "I Will Survive" made famous by Gloria Gaynor back in 1978. It was released in the glory days of disco and has endured to become a true classic as it was inducted in to the National Recording Registry for preservation and was the only winner of the very short-lived Grammy Award for Best Disco Recording.

While many people love this popular song, I have to admit I've never been much of a fan. I do admire the reassuring lyrics but (and really no shade intended) I think that Gaynor's take of the song is just okay and actually tend to turn the channel when it’s playing on the radio.

There have been several interesting covers of "I Will Survive" that have been made over the years from Diana Ross to alt-rockers, Cake. But my favorite is by Chantay Savage. The r&b vocalist transformed it in to a moving ballad in 1996 and it became a modest success. This version made it to number twelve in the UK, peaked at number twenty-four on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and reached the top-five on the r&b/hip-hop chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RANDOM SIGHTS + SOUNDS

It's been fifteen years since actor and musical artist, Vanessa Williams has released new music. She had a thriving pop music career s...